Our Redeemer's is part of the Debs-Puposky Parish. We share a pastor with our sister-congregation, Trinity Lutheran in Debs. On September 1st of each year, the two churches switch worship times. This year, Our Redeemer's is worshiping at 9:00 am and Trinity is worshiping at 11:00am. Please join us! Tithes/Offerings may be mailed directly to the OR Treasurer, Rose Erickson. (Address found on Contacts page).

Sunday, January 5, 2014

From the Desk of Pastor Mike...

   Greetings in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit as we begin this new year together.  I would like to thank both congregations for allowing me to take the place of Pastor Jay.  It will truly be an honor to serve this parish as this is the parish that gave me my first opportunity to be a pulpit supply pastor back in 1986.  I have given a lot of time to prayer about this next chapter of my life and I know that the Holy Spirit has led me to take on this task.  It is wonderful that both congregations are in good shape and healthy both in spiritual and financial ways.  Despite being off the traffic pattern of the area we continue to grow and maintain our presence.  We remain ELCA Lutherans and hold the basic principles of Luther's theological teachings that were set nearly 500 years ago, namely: GRACE alone (we are selected by God alone- not anything that we do)  FAITH alone (a confident trust in God who keeps His promises to us) and SCRIPTURE alone (the Bible is the norm for faith and life).  We are truly a faith founded on GOOD NEWS.

   I would like to share a humorous story that goes like this: A Sunday school teacher asked her little children as they returned to the sanctuary from class-"and why is it necessary to be quiet in church?"  One bright little girl replied: "because people are sleeping."  I know that no one slept through any of Jay's sermons and I hope you don't feel like sleeping through any of mine.  I do want you all to know that if you find yourself nodding off, be sure to let me know because I will adjust to the needs of the congregations.  I appreciate feedback and if you need to talk to me about anything that concerns the parish or your family or yourself I am available.  (I haven't even started yet at this time, and I have already heard some concerns).  My phone number is 751-3049 and if I am not there to answer please leave a message and I will return your call.

   We are now in the liturgical season of Epiphany until the Transfiguration on March second.  Then, hold on to your hats, Ash Wednesday is on the fifth of March and we enter the Easter Season.

  I am looking forward to the year ahead as we walk with Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.  God bless us all in this new year.     Mike

(note: The blog editor retyped Pastor Mike's message as it appeared in the Newsletter.  Apologies for any mistakes I may have contributed to the text.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment